Academy Of San LucaFree: All time

The Accademia di San Luca, (the “Academy of Saint Luke”) was founded in 1577 as an association of artists in Rome with the purpose of elevating the work of “artists”, which included painters, sculptors and architects, above that of mere craftsmen. In 1620s, Pope Urban VIII extended broad rights to the academy to decide who was considered an artist in Rome. Today, the Academy still exists in its original premises in the 16th-century Palazzo Carpegna. On the third floor of the Academy is the Gallery, which houses a huge collection of paintings and sculptures by artists such as Titian, Baciccia, Rubens, Raphael and many others.

Address: Piazza dell’Accademia di San Luca, 77, Rome 00187
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 10am-2pm, Closed Sundays
Direction: Subway Line A to Barberini Stop
Phone: +39 06 67 98 850

Photo credit: Accademia di San Luca